About this project
The website was created on the initiative of the programme board of the ‘Warsaw Autumn’ International Festival of Contemporary Music, whose members were Krzysztof Droba’s colleagues and friends. It is the Polish Composers’ Union’s first website dedicated to a music theorist and critic.
The project has been carried out between 1st May and 30th October 2020. Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of its elements such as video recordings betray technical limitations, thus also serving as documents of their time.
The Polish Composers’ Union gives its sincere thanks to all the persons and institutions whose assistance and commitment have made this project possible, and in particular:
- the Office of the President of the Republic of Lithuania, for making photographs of state decoration ceremonies available;
- our colleagues from the Lithuanian Composers’ Union, especially to Ruta Stanevičiūtė, Onutė Narbutaitė, Vytautas Landsbergis, and Feliksas Bajoras, for their inestimable support in documenting Krzysztof Droba’s work in the field of Lithuanian music and sharing memories;
- experts: Professors Teresa Malecka and Eugeniusz Knapik, for their support;
- Eva Maria Jensen, Maria Wiktoria Hübner, and Kazimierz Płoskoń, for sharing photos;
- composers, performers and the publisher: PWM Edition, for their kind permission to make recordings of works dedicated to Krzysztof Droba available on our website;
- all those who have agreed to share their memories of Krzysztof.
We are particularly grateful to Mr Bogusław Droba, Krzysztof’s brother, for kindly sharing with us his memories and materials from the family collection.
Project concept, library and archive research, film and recording editing, coordination – by the project team: Beata Bolesławska-Lewandowska, Magdalena Długosz, Kinga Kiwała, Andrzej Mądro, Marta Szoka, Tadeusz Wielecki, and Izabela Zymer
Translations: Irina Sinkevič, Tomasz Zymer
The music heard on opening the folder ‘In Place of the preface’ is an excerpt from Magdalena Długosz’s 8-channel electro-acoustic work Beyond Silence (2007–2008) dedicated to Krzysztof Droba
Institution responsible for the project:
Polish Composers’ Union
Library and Recording Collection of the Polish Composers’ Union
Polish Music Information Centre POLMIC
Subsidised by the National Centre for Culture
under the programme Kultura w sieci.
Academy of Music in Cracow
Grazyna and Kiejstut Bacewicz Academy of Music in Lodz
Lithuanian Composers’ Union